Surgery Facts Explained
Surgery is something we don’t want to think about and hope that we will never have to get it done. But sometimes surgeries can’t be avoided. They are performed to diagnose or treat disease or injury.
Surgery may be performed as an emergency procedure to save the life of the patient. Emergency surgeries cannot be postponed. There is an urgency to perform such surgeries. Surgeries can also be scheduled to be performed at a convenient date.
Surgeries are performed by surgeons in the operation theater. Surgeons are doctors who are qualified to perform surgical procedures. Surgical procedures can be for any part of the body and only an expert surgeon is authorized to perform the procedure.
Some of the most common types of surgeons are:
- General Surgeons
- Colon & Rectal surgeons
- Obstetrician & Gynecology surgeon
- Orthopedic surgeon
- Pediatric surgeon
- Plastic surgeon
- Vascular surgeon
A surgeon is the most important person in an operation theater. He is supported by a team comprising an anesthesiologist, assistant surgeons, hospital room nurses, and other medical professionals. However, he controls the entire process and ensures that the entire team works collaboratively. He takes on-the-spot decisions regarding the health, safety, and welfare of the patient.
A surgeon is sometimes a critical factor between the life and death of a patient. The surgeon is not only responsible for the surgery but also for maintaining a sterile environment in the hospital. He is also responsible for the preoperative diagnosis of the patient and the post-operative surgical care and treatment.
Surgical Procedures are of two types:
Open Surgery: In this type of surgery a cut is made in the skin to look inside the body and take the necessary corrective action.
Minimal Invasive Surgery: There are small entries made in the skin to take tissue samples or make repairs.
The type of procedure is chosen based on the problem and the general fitness of the patient. Although minimally invasive surgery is the preferred type, it is not suitable for many conditions.
When do you Require Surgery?
- For accurate diagnosis of a health condition.
- To get tissue samples for analysis.
- To take corrective action such as repair or removal of the body part where the problem is.
- Many a time surgeries may be performed to remove something from the flow of blood or any other fluid in the body.
- To take corrective action such as putting body parts back in their right position. An example of this type of surgery is orthopedic surgery wherein bones are set and placed in their right position.
- Organ transplant. Some common examples are kidney or liver transplants.
- To insert a mechanical or electronic device into the body. An example is inserting a pacemaker in the heart.
- Cosmetic surgery such as plastic surgery to change your appearance.
- Dental surgeries to resolve dental issues.
Surgeons are responsible for the upkeep of our health and body. We need the treatment by the surgeon for any of the above-mentioned reasons and more. You can thank the surgeons across the globe by wearing shirts and T-shirts by MEND Threads.